Comments on Heavenly Events
Events in 3/2 BC
The principal star named, MUL.BABBAR / Tzedek (the planet Jupiter), was involved in a series of heavenly signs in 3/2 BC. While the principal star is actually a planet, its Babylonian name was MUL.BABBAR, which means "the white star." Indeed all five of the visible planets look like stars to the unaided human eye.
The series of celestial signs associated with the coming of the Messiah involved the principal star as well as the sun, moon and other stars and planets. Only a portion of the symbolic celestial events is described below. A much more complete description is available in the book The Lion Led the Way. A short list of the events is in the menu item RESOURCES.
The synodic cycle of the principal planet/star seems to be a key to understanding the phenomena. The synodic cycle of MUL.BABBAR / Tzedek (Jupiter) involves the following:
1. The first visibility of the star/planet in the east after its annual passage behind the sun. This is called a "heliacal rising".
2. The first stationary point when the planet seems to visually stop to observers on earth. This is only a phenomenon linked to perspective. The planet never actually stops moving. The apparent visual stopping of Jupiter lasts two weeks. The stationary point is at the middle of the two week period of none movement. The Babylonians always predicted and observed and noted this event. This is four months after the heliacal rising).
3. The rising of the planet in the east just after sunset. This is called its acronycal rising. This event happens several days before true opposition. This is about two months after the first stationary point.
4. The second stationary point when the planet seems to visually stop to observers on earth. This is about two months after the acronycal rising.
5. The last visibility of the star/planet in the west before its annual passage behind the sun. This is called a "heliacal setting". This is four months after the second stationary point.
This entire cycle takes about 13 months for the planet to accomplish each year.
In 3/2 BC there were specific royal signs associated with each phase of MUL.BABBAR's / Tzedek's synodic cycle.
Other events such as the famous June 17, 2 BC conjunction of Venus and Jupiter were certainly also involved. However, the June 2 BC event may not have had more symbolic meaning or importance for the men from the east than several other events.
A biblical text from Psalm 89 seems to be important in understanding the signs. Psalm 89 is mostly about God's covenant with David promising him that one of his descendants would always occupy his throne.
Here is part of the text:
“He will cry to Me, ‘You are my Father,
My God, and the rock of my salvation.’
I also shall make him My firstborn,
The highest of the kings of the earth.
“My lovingkindness I will keep for him forever,
And My covenant shall be confirmed to him.
“So I will establish his descendants forever
And his throne as the days of heaven.
“My covenant I will not violate,
Nor will I alter the utterance of My lips.
“Once I have sworn by My holiness;
I will not lie to David.
“His descendants shall endure forever
And his throne as the sun before Me.
“It shall be established forever like the moon,
And the witness in the sky is faithful.”
(Psalm 89: 26-29 and 34-37)
The sun and the moon play a definite role alongside the principal star. In the heavenly events, they often seem to bear witness that the reign of the Messiah will endure forever.
We are also told in the Bible that the leadership of God's people Israel was to follow the line of the tribe of Judah. This is indicated in Genesis 49:8-10.
Judah is a lion’s whelp; From the prey, my son, you have gone up. He couches, he lies down as a lion, And as a lion, who dares rouse him up? “The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, Until Shiloh comes, And to him shall be the obedience of the peoples.
Judah is symbolically identified with a lion. The Shiloh is the one who has the right to take the ruler's staff (the scepter). This prophecy can be symbolically linked to the stars. The lion constellation, Leo, also contains a significant star, Regulus, which has historically been linked to kingship. The Babylonians referred to this star as LUGAL or Sharru. Both names mean king. The Jews may have referred to it as Melech which means king in Hebrew.
MUL.BABBAR / Tzedek was in the lion constellation in 3/2 BC. It was often involved with Regulus /LUGAL / Melech in symbolic events during that period.
Recommended Next Steps: